Tencent released a WeChat data report on Monday after the company said the messaging and social media platform has 697 million monthly active users in its fourth quarter 2015 earnings results last week.
The tech giant surveyed a group of 40,443 netizens in China, in which more than 1,800 of them manage WeChat public accounts.
AllChinaTech has highlighted some of the stats from the report.
- 94% of WeChat users are daily active users, in which half of them use it more than an hour every day.
- 21% reported using the platform more than 50 times a day. 25% of those surveyed open the app up to 30 times a day.
- The most popular function within WeChat payment is Hongbao, or digital red envelopes in English. 70% of its users spend more than RMB 100 (USD 15.4) on Hongbao every month.
- 40% of WeChat users consume news via social networks that include WeChat, Weibo and QQ Mobile. Only 20.6% of its users consume news on desktops and 8% of them get their news from TV.
- 47% of WeChat users pay their cellphone bill via the platform. 62% of WeChat users have used its payment features such as paying utilities and buying movie and lottery tickets.
- 72.7% of WeChat public accounts are registered by enterprises and organizations.