LeEco CEO Jia Yueting posted an open letter on his Sina Weibo on Sunday. It says LeEco will launch its new Le 2 smartphone on April 20, and is ready to take on Apple’s iPhone again.
“With revolutionary technology, LeEco’s Le 2 will be a subversion of the industry and the most unprecedented industry breakthrough in decades,” Jia wrote.
Photos of Le 2 have been spotted via Chinese telecom regulator TENAA. Leaks say the phone will feature a 5.5-inch 1080P display screen, 2.3GHz Helio X20 processor and 16-megapixel rear-facing and eight-megapixel front-facing cameras. It’s also speculated that the smartphone will have a 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM, a 3,000mAh battery and use the Android 6.0 operation system.
According to Jia, the bigger, more established enterprises have taken control of nearly everything in the information age. They have built a strong barrier to entry for other companies based on their advantage in production including information, economies of scale and technology. He says consumers have to pay the bill.
“Hardware companies including S, H, I, V, O have used and even overused consumer-trust and expectations,” wrote Jia. “Irrational consumers pay huge premiums for brands and hardware they pursue. This is consumption for the sake of status and saving face.”
The S, H, I, V, O is thought to represent smartphone makers Samsung, Huawei, iPhone, Vivo and OPPO. Particularly, Jia sees the upcoming Le 2 as the “second strike on Apple’s iPhone”.
Jia also posted on his Sina Weibo earlier that three million Le 2 smartphones would be provided to China’s leading e-commerce platform JD.com in 2016, according to their exclusive sales agreement, and another three million Le 2 smartphones have been pre-ordered on the crowd funding platform of Chinese state-owned telecommunications operator China Unicom.
According to Jia, LeEco will also release three other intelligent terminal products at the product launch on April 20.
(Top photo from huffingtonpost.co.uk)