China’s revenue from iOS games has become the highest in the world in Q2 2016, according to market research firm App Annie. Let’s take a look at App Annie’s top 8 games favored by Chinese iPhone users:
- National Airplane Wars (Quanmin Feiji Dazhan): flying and shooting
Users can log in with Tencent’s social networks (WeChat or QQ) and fly their own planes to shoot the enemy planes. Users can also invite their friends on WeChat or QQ and fight against each other. The game was published by Tencent in January 2014.
- Westward Fantasy Journey (Menghuan Xiyou): a turn-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), based on the Chinese classic Journey to the West
The turn-based mobile game was developed on the basis of a computer game of the same name. Users act as a monk and go back to the scenarios of Journey to the West, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature. China’s leading portal and game developer Netease launched the public beta for the game in March 2015.
- Hero Moba (Wangzhe Rongyao): like DotA on smartphones, a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)
This is mainly a player-versus-player (PVP) game, like the famous online computer game Defence of the Ancients (DotA). China’s tech giant and game developer Tencent launched the public beta for the game in November 2015. Users can also select the player-versus-environment (PVE) mode and take on its missions.
- Westward Journey Online (Dahua Xiyou): Journey to the West, a turn-based MMORPG
As indicated by its name, this game by Netease is similar to Fantasy Westward Journey. Users play as observers and participators of the Journey to the West. The game was also developed on the basis of an online computer game with the same name. Its public beta was launched in September 2015.
- Swordsman Love Story (Jianxia Qingyuan): Role Playing Game (RPG), swordfighting, Song dynasty
Its setting is the wars between Song and Jin in the Song dynasty (960-1276). Users can select one from six martial schools and fight against others. Users can also unite with other players and have group fights. The five elements (metal, wood, water, fire and earth, held by the ancients to compose the physical universe) are added into the game too.
The game entered into iPhone’s App Store in June 2016. It was co-developed by Tencent and game developer Seasun Inc on the basis of Seasun’s computer game of the same name.
- AskTao (Wendao): Turn-based MORPG
The game’s setting is the imaginary founding of the Chinese religion Taoism. Users can select from the five elements and a gender as their role in the game. Users can also fight, unite and marry each other in the game, and try to attain immortality. Its public beta was launched in April and its publisher is Xiamen Leiting Network Technology.
- Flying Sword Love Story (Yujian Qingyuan): flying, swordfighting, MMO